09 March 2009

"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous."


Ah, yes...Coco Chanel. Although I have yet to own any of her classic tweed jackets or one of her irreplaceable quilted, patent leather clutches (I'm still trying to convince my parents that it would be a worthwhile investment), I love that woman's style. She beautifully grasped the concept of femininity not only in fashion but in her outlook on life. Coco's got it right--I mean, doesn't every girl want to be both classy and fabulous? I think it would be hard to find a girl who truly feels otherwise. Now, I emphasize the word "truly" because modern society, as it seems to me, encourages women to stifle the feminine qualities that they all innately possess. Yes, that's right, I said it: Modern society is killing the classy and fabulous woman. Women feel more pressure than ever before to live up to the "standards" of our male counterparts, but it really just turns women into wannabe-guys...ick. I can hear the feminist chitter chatter in my head right now:

A. "Makeup! Blah! That's so archaic. Men don't have to wear makeup. So why should I? People should love me for who I am, not what I cake on my face."

B. "Heels are so confining. They're just a microcosm of the years of subservience women with which women have dealt at the hands of a misogynistic society. I would rather wear these über-comfortable loafers instead."

C. "Cooking is for 1950s cookie cutter housewives, and I'm not one of those women. I won't cook at all unless I am compelled to do so."

D. "I am 100% feminist, so I only spell women 'womyn' because I am not any kind of 'addition' to my male counterparts."

And here is my response to each of the above situations:

A. Makeup wouldn't have been invented if it didn't have a purpose. Although I agree that all women are naturally beautiful, there is nothing wrong with enhancing our inherent beauty. This is, after all, part of what makes a woman truly feminine. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in your physical appearance by enhancing your God-given assets. PLUS, it's stupid to say that men don't have to do anything to maintain their appearance. I highly doubt any woman in her right mind would approach a man with terribly overgrown, mismanaged, and mangled facial hair. Putting on mascara (all that is really needed given a well-taken care of complexion) is a much easier task than shaving one's face.

B. Heels accentuate a woman's naturally beautiful figure. A woman should never shy away from embracing her feminine form, because the minute she does so, she in fact gives in to male dominance. I think women should strive to separate themselves from their male counterparts to truly establish their own, individualized role in society. That's not to say that I oppose women striving for equal rights and whatnot (I really am ALL FOR IT), I just think it can be done in such a way that maintains the "traditional" roles of both women and men. Come on, everyone, guys and gals are not at all the same. O, and über-comfortable, stylish loafers are acceptable, but only with jeans or dress trousers. Heels, however, always give a lady a sense of power and demonstrate immense confidence---a guy couldn't stand even the thought of donning 4-inch Manolo Blahniks.

C. Don't shoot down the 1950s lifestyle. There is something to be said for a traditional household, and no one can try to tell me otherwise. Cooking can be quite relaxing, and I, for one, enjoy it. I cannot wait for the first time I get to cook a meal for my family. I feel like cooking for your loved ones is one of the most basic ways to show affection and love for other people. And you can wear (if you like) a super-cute apron in the process...just one of the added benefits of cooking up delicacies. Basically, don't hate on it until you try it.

D. This last statement is just plain stupid. Any word whose recorded first use dates to 1975 shouldn't count [Saying "womyn" is a word is like saying "bootylicious" is a legit word]. And, is there anything wrong with the notion of complementing another human being? After all, it's in our human nature to interact with one another, so it should be embraced as wonderful that a word in the English language, i.e. "woma(e)n," can embrace that essential aspect of our humanness. Like I said, "womyn" is just silly.

Now that I've seemingly ratted on feminism, I best clarify my viewpoints.

I love feminism. I love women who strive to be strong and powerful. I love women who develop strong careers and raise wonderful families on their own. I love women who truly define themselves separate from societal norms.

I also love aprons...and cardigans...and pearls...and a-line skirts...and brooches...and cashmere...and baking...and families...and stay-at-home moms.

So, I write this blog not to hate on feminism but to simply provide a complementary opinion to the feminist ideas that permeate society. In my eyes, feminism and femininity have become mutually exclusive when they really shouldn't be. I really think that a lady can embrace her truest self, her absolutely wonderful femininity, and maintain a degree of power and respect while upholding the classic definition of femininity---not that this is, in any way, an easy task. I want to encourage people to take a second look at women's roles in society and to reconsider their opinions on the ideas of traditional roles of men and women. Look at Coco Chanel---she wonderfully upheld femininity while building an impressive fashion empire. We need to come to embrace feminism and femininity together, just like Coco.

Before I proceed with this blog, I should probably share a little more about me. I am a 20 year old student at Georgetown University studying Government with a focus in Political Theory. I come from a traditional, Midwestern family where my father works and my mother stays at home; I have 2 younger sisters and 2 dogs. Most of my involvement in college has been with a variety of Catholic stuffs, and I find this involvement to be a defining part of who I am as a person. I enjoy fashion and shopping very much, because I enjoy expressing myself in clothing; I am well-noted among my friends for my brooches. Clothing is a way of expressing my pride in myself, my pride in being a young lady with an eye for the classic, traditional fabulousness that has long since disappeared from American society.

Now, with all this being said, I am in no way a close-minded individual. I have been exposed to a variety of lifestyles during my short life; in fact, I have witnessed various rebellions of sorts within my household led by my sister--I tell you this to let you know that my parents have not shoved their opinions down me and my sister's throats-- I want you to know that my views are my own. Even my own mother laughs at my fashion sense. Just the other day she told me a skirt suit I purchased looks like something a nun would wear; what was my response, you ask?: "Mom, a nun would never wear an exposed zipper top with a high waisted, properly darted pencil skirt. Plus, if I pair it with a brooch, silk scarf, and patent leather heels, this outfit will certainly be modern." I think my mom just laughed, wondering where the hell I came from.

Basically, my parents have helped to maintain an extremely open-minded household. And while I completely love the way I grew up, I understand that it's not for everyone, and I have seen the ups and downs of being a stay-at-home mom in my own household. I just want you to know that I am neither jaded nor sheltered.

I don't always wear makeup, I don't only wear high heels, I wear jeans/trousers 95% of the time, and I enjoy my tennis shoes as much as the next girl. I just want this blog to encourage a greater appreciation for all things feminine, that is, things that inherently make a woman feminine [her thoughts, her natural femininity] as well as more superficial things like clothing and fashion; because, if it were practical, I probably would dress to the nine every day. I am sure this blog will contain rambling posts, trying to convey my emotions and opinions. After all, I am a 20 year old lady, and we all tend to be a little on the crazy side at times. This should prove to be an interesting exploration of who I am as a person...May we all enjoy!

CHEERS!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more because it was so beautifully articulated. I Love knowing there's another young lady out there who enjoys, appreciates and embodies feminity.

    I'm also a firm believer in perspective and to the "women" being only a compliment of "men", what about "men" being a derivitive of "women".

    I would also argue that this is a form of feminism..(the better side of it!) Ladies take the higher road when seeking equality. It's not just about equality, its equity too. We can be invited to the dinner party but it is where we sit at the dinner part that matters.

    ReplyDelete