14 March 2009

RANT #1 [note: very girly discussion to follow]

We all ignore the problem, we all try to look the other way but can't help but look back at the issue, we all never say or do anything to actually solve the problem...No, I'm not talking about anything political. The problem at hand is that of the all-too-liberating "bra-less" revolution. Just last week, I went to 7AM Saturday Mass only to be faced with a woman in her mid-50s sporting a [too small] tennis outfit and...NO BRA. I couldn't stand it. A big part of me wanted to walk over to her and ask her to zip up her [again, too small] jacket to at least cover up the thin, shiny material that revealed everything.

And this isn't an isolated instance. I see women "liberating" themselves by refusing to wear the proper undergarments on an almost daily basis. Upon googling "why women shouldn't wear bras," you will quickly find a website which claims that bras cause breast cancer [insane]. Even if I did encounter a woman not wearing a bra who told me she did it so that she wouldn't get cancer, I wouldn't believe her; I mean, if you're going to refuse to properly dress yourself to oppose social norms, at least be proud of your stance.

So, I guess the train of thought behind NOT wearing a bra may be along the lines of that of Cameron Diaz': "I'm a tomboy at heart!" or something like: "We're all human! Women should embrace their breasts---they are nothing to 'confine.' Bras are just modern-day gurdles that suppress a woman's femininity" While I can kind of, sort of, maybe see where these women are coming from, the facts [well, according to me] are as follows:
  • Women simply look nicer when they wear the proper undergarments. Wearing a bra accentuates a lady's nice features, thus accentuating her femininity, and it demonstrates more of an "embracing" of a woman's physical being than not wearing one. There's no point in going bra-less if it just makes people shutter at the sight; if anything, it makes others think less of you because of this terrifying first impression. I mean, if a man decided to never shave to embrace his "masculinity," it would be generally unacceptable.
  • Not wearing a bra, for most, would most likely prove painful. This is especially true for athletic activities, such as running or tennis [ahem].
  • Clothes look better with the proper undergarments. Don't tell me otherwise. I'm right on this one. If you're going to invest in nice clothes, you should don them properly.
  • THE ONLY TIME IT'S OKAY to go bra-less is within the comfort of your home, when you have no guests and aren't expecting guests any time soon.
Women should be proud to embrace their femininity in every way possible, and wearing the proper support is one such way of embracing our womanly nature. In doing so, a woman clearly, visually separates herself from her male counterparts [especially those potbelly fellows who have large protrusions on their chests...maybe they should wear bras as well to prevent themselves from hurting their backs, but that's another issue completely]. By not wearing a bra, I feel like women are not doing themselves any justice, and it's just not a pretty sight. No one wants to see that much of any woman.

This being said, as my friend Lauren once proposed, I am totally in favor of mandatory bra fittings for all women. Unless a bra fits properly, it won't do what it's supposed to. Come on, haven't you seen those women who have a second muffin top around their ribcage? Or what about those women who choose to have overly-extreme cleavage? Gross, right? Well, if these women were properly fitted for their bras, we wouldn't have a problem. While I'd rather have women wear ill-fitting bras than no bras at all, the reality is that wearing a poorly fitting bra is nearly as bad. A bad bra purchase can yield unnecessary pain for a woman and also sore eyes for all that have to see her.

On a similar note, it is not CUTE to have your bra show through your white t-shirt. I don't care if your bra has Swarovski crystals all over it---it's not meant to be seen. Wear a nude bra...it's better for everyone. In fact, it's not cute to have your bra show EVER; so, like I said, having properly fitting bras is essential to maintaining a stylish and classy appearance.

My message to all ladies:
Go to a department store. Get properly fitted for a bra. Buy bras that look nice under your clothes. You, the people around you, and your clothes [yes, clothes have feelings, too] will all be better off.

2 comments:

  1. Just to give a male perspective: It's not attractive.

    Check out this episode of Seinfeld which is all about a woman who doesn't wear a bra. When Elaine suggests that she start wearing one this happens:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byOVBhy6Vhg&feature=PlayList&p=172CA9927F446016&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17

    I wish their were a better scene from the episode but there's not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger, I used to enjoy seeing women without bras (it gave me a sexual thrill I guess). But now, I agree with you wholeheartedly, and personally, I think a bra is the most feminine of garments. Not only does it serve a utilatarian function, it enhances a woman's femininity and figure. According to Forbe's magazine, every woman should own a list one 'La Perla' bra.

    ReplyDelete