09 April 2009

Rant #2

I will never forget watching one of the more recent episodes of The Office when a situation that I had recently experienced actually came up. See, Kevin meets this girl he likes, but instead of just asking her out, he decides to inquire, "Do you have an email address?" I almost died of laughter...I thought I was alone in my encounter with someone trying to build some sort of relationship upon the foundations of indirect, technologically-mediated, human contact. My story is as follows:

One day, "Bob" approaches me while at work, which he never does

Bob: Katelyn, you left this.
Me: O, thanks. (Bob keeps standing awkwardly, and I start looking around for potential conversation-exits)...Is something wrong?
bob: I was just wondering if you have an email address.
Me: (giving Bob my "o my gosh you are insane" look) As a matter of fact, I do. Why do you ask?
Bob: I thought we could start an online conversation.
Me: (At this point, I know what's coming, and I just keep thinking, "This guy needs to grow a pair") About what?
Bob: School and stuff.
Me: Ah. Well, I really don't have time for that.
Bob: You mean you don't have time to email?
Me: No...I just don't have time for that kind of conversation...But I'll let you know if that changes. I'll see you later (I turn around and thank God for that conversation's end)

Apparently, the writers of The Office have picked up on this kind of interaction as well [at least I'm not alone...and, as my friend Amanda assured me, at least Bob didn't try to sell me paper].


We live in a world where people find technological means of communication to be completely acceptable for almost anything. The fact of the matter is, this simply isn't the case. If a guy wants to ask a girl out, he should ask her out and not ask for her email address...that's just creepy and awkward and lame. Beyond my personal anecdote, though, modern society has found an over-confidence of sorts when using technology to communicate.

I find that people tend to be too bold when they communicate by non-verbal technological means. People simply don't think through their thoughts completely when they are using their thumbs to relay information. This leads to messages that can either be horribly misinterpreted or that can really be insensitive. After all, it's a lot less threatening to send a text message [a text message holds no immediate consequences, unlike an actual conversation which yields an immediate response] than it is to actually talk to someone.

People need to grow up. Life isn't a series of electronic messages...life is real. Thus, when communicating about any topic that is or could potentially be sensitive, I think people should make every effort to communicate face-to-face or at least through telephone conversations. This is 1) much more efficient and 2) much more considerate and thoughtful.

I almost feel like getting an actual phone call, actually hearing one of my friend's voices is a special treat. Yes, I understand that text messaging has its conveniences like when you want to make last-minute dinner plans with a bunch of friends, but is it too much to ask that you call me with a question instead of making me endure a 10-message long texting conversation that proves cumbersome, distracting, and very inefficient? I mean, I shouldn't call a friend with a simple question to hear them say, "That's all you called for?" I also shouldn't call a friend and leave a voicemail to receive a text message response---that's just RUDE. Finally, if a friend tells you that they don't like text messaging [ahem], be considerate [after all, it's a good way to show that you genuinely care] and try to get in touch with them through other modes and use texting as a last resort.

With these rather inconsiderate possible responses to phone calls, I can't help but think: I'm sorry, should I not call a friend about whom I care very much with a question? Should I send an impersonal, annoying text message instead? If this is so, then I suppose I should apologize for being a considerate, kind, caring person who enjoys talking to my friends no matter how mundane the topic may be.

I'm not going to lie and say that I've never sent a text message [because I certainly have and will continue to do so as I deem necessary], but every time I send one, I do NOT like it [I hate it hate it hate it HATE IT]. I am also not going to be unrealistic and call for people to abandon their text-messaging ways completely. I just want people to think before the next time they choose how to contact someone. In all honesty, a phone call [or even a kindly worded email] means a lot more and comes across more sincerely than a text-message.

[NOTE: This being said, I find "inside-joke" related text messages to be acceptable...simply because it would be genuinely awkward to call someone to relay a one-liner. I also find bulk, last-minute plan, text-messages to be acceptable simply for efficiency and inclusion reasons. (see, I'm not completely anti-technology)]

It's all about staying classy [come on, what epitomized lady would communicate via text messaging instead of a classy invitation or memorably witty phone call?] and keeping this hierarchy in mind:
Real, in person conversation > video chatting > phone call > email > text message.

So, next time you are about to get in touch with someone, I beg of you to consider your relationship and the intended nature of the conversation you need to have....Just think about it...Pretty please.

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. That being said, all of you who are reading this, please avoid texting me if you can...I promise I won't yell at you for calling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice...clearly has absolutely nothing to do with femininity though.

    ReplyDelete